Saturday, May 18, 2013

Memory

Tell a story from your childhood. Dig deep and try and be descriptive about what you remember and how you felt. 


I am an awfully forgetful person. Which is mainly why I wanted to start this blog. I don't remember a lot of the memories I have. Sure there are bits and pieces of times in my past but I can hardly remember what I ate for lunch yesterday. 

One vivid memory I have of my childhood is when my cousins were visiting us in Wilmington for vacation. In an early post I talked about how close we were to them and I loved when they came to see us. I can't remember how old I was, but if I had to guess I would say 9 or so. 

My mom and aunt gathered us in the living room and said there was something they needed to tell us. They gently told us that our great grandmother had passed away (their grandmother). My oldest cousin immediately burst into tears. I don't know what came over me but I felt the sudden urge to laugh. I still don't know if it's because I looked up to her and she was older and a mess over this, or if didn't fully understand what was going on at the time and that was my best reaction. 

My cousins were going to leave Wilmington to go to Florida for the funeral. I remember this making me really sad and jealous. I wanted to spend more time with my cousins. How come they got to go to the funeral and I had to stay at home? 

I wish I could go back and slap myself for being selfish. My great grandmother was an amazing strong Polish woman who I was lucky enough to meet and spend some of my childhood with. I wish I had more memories of her and the time we shared. 

I can't hear the Barenaked Ladies song One Week and not think about this memory of my childhood.
"Trying hard not to smile though I feel bad 
I'm the kind of guy who laughs at a funeral..."

No comments:

Post a Comment