Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Fletcher's Nursery

The nursery is hands down my favorite room in the house. While we were piecing it together I knew we would be spending a lot of time in there so I wanted to make sure it would be a comfortable space that we all three loved being in. I also knew that this was going to be one of the last times I would get to pick everything that was going into our child's room because in about four years there will be requests for footballs, airplanes, and racecar bed (just like his dad).
Before we knew the gender of our little babe Jared and I discussed what we each had in mind for the nursery. I believe Jared's first pitch was for an NC State theme with a Carter Finely mural on the wall behind the crib. That was quickly shot down by me (sorry hubs). His next suggestion actually stuck. He said we should do themes for boy or girl based on our favorite childhood Disney movies. Jared's is Fox and Hound and mine is The Little Mermaid. Initially I was picturing cartoon characters all over the walls and absolutely hated that idea. But then I realized we could have that theme without it being so "Disney."




Once we knew we were having a little boy I got to planning the Fox and Hound theme sans cartoon characters. I knew I wanted earthy tones with a woodland feel. I based the room around these prints:
 
They were all found on Etsy from various sellers. The large white distressed frames are from a clearance sale at a furniture store last year. We just held on to them waiting for the perfect use :) The rest of the frames are from Homegoods of course.
The changing table is actually a hand-me-down from my best friend, Caitlin. Her mom used it for her and her older sister when they were little which makes the dresser almost 32 years old and that much more special to have! I just repainted it white and changed out the knobs, which are actually sticks from out backyard cut down to drawer-pull-size. I almost passed out when I saw that bear hamper in Homegoods. I had been looking for weeks for the perfect hamper for his room when I stumbled upon that gem.  
Since I was planning to breastfeed I knew I need a comfortable glider for nursing Fletcher throughout the day and in the wee hours of the morning. We searched high and low for a reasonably priced, comfortable, functional, and attractive glider. However, that does not exist and the one I fell in love with was way out of our price range. Jared suggested we just recover the old recliner we had sitting in the guest room unused. I was against it at first, naturally, but this is by far the most comfortable chair. All it took was a navy slipcover from Amazon to make mama happy.


The curtain rods are one of my favorite things in the room. They are just sanded down tree branches from the woods in our backyard. I will never forget being huge pregnant walking back there with Jared and Maverick looking for the perfect stick/tree/branch for my insane idea for a curtain rod. I love the way they turned out! 
I picked up this side table at the Restore for $15! I painted it and added drawer pulls to match the changing table/dresser.




The jar on the table is a gift my mom gave me at my baby shower. It is filled with pearls. There is a card attached that gives instructions to remove a pearl from the jar once a week, every week, until Fletcher is 18 years old. It is to remind me to cherish the time I have with my boy each week.
 The closet doors in this room are straight from the 70's. So I jazzed them up a little by painting them a greenish-grey color and framing the doors with wood that I stained and distressed.


The bookshelves turned out just how I had pictured them. I stained and painted the wood to match the wood around the closet and Jared put them together for me. I think we are going to need to add some more shelving because baby boy already has an insane amount of books! 

I had to point out a few of my favorite things on the shelves, the monogrammed wooden rattle and the "Go Wolfpack Go" book. The rattle was a gift from our friend Emily. She knows us so well! The Wolfpack book is from our friend Alyson and will be my new go-to shower gift for our fellow expectant NC State mamas. It is an interactive book that follows Mr and Ms Wuf around campus and Raleigh. It is just too cute! 



The initial letters were one of my other Etsy splurges. Each letter is handmade from driftwood found on the beaches of Rhode Island.
The final piece in the nursery was this cross-stich made by a friend. It is a play on the song "Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys." Jared's idea of course. Gotta start em' young ;)

Other miscellaneous things in the nursery:
Target: rug and pouf
Homegoods: toy chest, baskets, lamp, and curtains
Pottery Barn Kids: crib

Then here is a picture of our updated master. This was a surprise facelift for our room in conjunction with the nursery.

And...what is a blog post without pictures of Fletcher?

this was the very first onesie we purchased after finding out we were going to have a baby!


intentional smiling just melts my heart every.single.time.


first trip on to the beach. he loved it!




 



No comments:

Post a Comment