Sunday, January 22, 2017

Sick Baby

We started off Thursday as usual. We went to get Fletcher up and ready for the day. But noticed there was puke all in his crib. Joy. He looked at us like nothing had ever happened even though he was covered in it. His little footed pajamas were soaked. Not sure when this actually happened but I assume he slept in it. We didn't hear any unusual noises on the monitor and he definitely didn't cry. I thought it was maybe a fluke so we got him in the bath and planned to take him to daycare. While we were getting him dressed he threw up again. Ok, so no daycare today. He threw up one more time that morning. Besides the three morning episodes he was acting completely fine, didn't feel warm, and was eating mostly normal considering he blew his guts out.
looks like a kid who figured out to play hooky from school
Friday morning was a different story. He was in a good mood just didn't want to finish his morning bottle, which is pretty normal from time to time. I took him to daycare and everything seemed fine. Until daycare called and said we needed to come get Fletcher. He had a 101.4 fever. Great. Jared went to get him since I had stayed home the day before. No throwing up this time. Just clingy and very sleepy. He took several naps and fell asleep on our chests. Something he hasn't done since he was itty bitty. When he went to bed he was at 102. No, I did not give him any medication. Just lots of love and rest. Slept through the night no problems.
Saturday was heartbreaking. He woke up hot as fire. His temperature still at 102. Not wanting to eat. Just wanting to cuddle and sleep. Not going to lie. I enjoyed those snuggles. It also felt nice that his mama was so comforting to him.
the first time since he was a newborn that he has just fallen asleep (no rocking or coaxing) on my chest. be still my heart.
I broke down and had Jared call the nurse line at our pediatrician office. The doctor on call wanted to see Fletcher just to make sure it wasn't anything serious. His temp was 102.7 in the office. She said everything looked great with him (eyes, ears, nose and throat) but she was concerned about his grunting. She said that sometimes that work of breathing can lead to decreased oxygen. So she talked me into giving him some Tylenol even though I pushed back. She had good reason though. Overall, she said there wasn't much to worry about and she was really happy with his demeanor in the office. He is such a ham whenever we are there. Her prescription was popsicles and snuggles. We could get on board with that.
Next stop, Whole Foods, for some sugar free fruit popsicles. The kid has never had sugar and this illness was not about to change that. The Tylenol from the doctors office started to kick in around 2 and Fletcher (and us) a false hope that he was feeling better. Gee, wonder why I wanted to hold off on that. He crashed shortly after. Refused to drink a bottle but did enjoy some popsicle. He didn't not want to leave our side for the rest of the afternoon. He laid so still on my chest and drifted in and out of sleep until it was time for bath. When we got him up we realized he was burning up. We took his temperature and it was 104.1. Truly, I got a little panicked. Especially because he was acting a little lethargic. But, I still didn't give him any medication. We walked him around and gave him some more popsicle. His mood changed a little. We started his bedtime routine as usual and he was happy as a clam in the bath. Thankfully, he sucked down 9 ounces before passing out for the night. He didn't sleep as soundly as the night before but still slept 7:45pm-7am.
Sunday morning he woke up with a huge smile. Jared took his first ever rectal temp (way to go hubs) and it was only 99.0! Woohoo. With the loss of the fever came a whole lot of congestion. . Hey, I will take that over the scary fever. The congestion made him not want to drink bottles all day. So, I looked up saline nasal flushes for babies online because I was little worried about him not eating for almost a third day in a row. I took these saline flushes I had from when I worked in the hospital and shot 3 up one nostril and 2 up the other. So much snot came out, Fletcher was screaming bloody murder, and Jared was video taping the whole thing (because we are awful parents). It actually worked though! Fletcher was able to drink his next bottles without problem. Still decreased appetite for solid foods. I was happy to get some fluids in him.
so.much.snot.
Hopefully we are in the clear with this yucky virus. I stick to my decision of not giving him medication. I have read a lot about how fevers are actually good for babies and help them fight the infection stronger and will tend to get better sooner.
This weekend was one of the most challenging I have had as a parent yet. Second guessing yourself, feeling helpless, and watching your child in pain is awful. I am thankful for a supportive husband that let my granola ass avoid giving our 104.1 febrile child Tylenol. He really trusted my judgement. He of course was so great with Fletcher all weekend. Really don't know what we would do without him.

No comments:

Post a Comment