New Year Goal UpdateGoing strong on the no social media thing. It has been over a month since I deleted the apps. Surprisingly, I haven't even had the urge to log on. Go me. People ask me all the time "so how are you doing with that?" "don't you miss it?" "oh so you haven't heard about all the political stuff?" my answers, fine, no, and hopefully people are using other outlets besides Facebook to get their news. I feel like I am more productive with my time, especially after Fletcher goes to bed. I am reading a book. It has been years (no, seriously, years) since I actually read a book, and Moms on Call does not count. Finally, the best part, I feel like I have removed so much of negative energy from my life. I am not constantly comparing myself to others. It has been very cleansing for me.
|currently reading and currently captivated. also being made into an HBO series. so excited.|
For Christmas, my cousin, Colleen, got me the holiday bundle to try Orange Theory at the beginning of the year. I have been wanting to try it for years since it has been so big out in Arizona where my family lives. Well it has finally hit North Carolina and since I am not pregnant this year (and looking to shed the last few baby weight pounds), it was the prefect gift. I am a total fan-girl and I've only been to a few classes. Coincidentally, the training program calls for 60 minutes of cross-training on Wednesdays. So it was sort of like fate telling me I needed to sign up for the membership. I honestly believe it has helped me become faster and I already feel stronger and trimmer.
|after each class OTF gives you these performance summaries to see where you averaged in the HR zones and total calories burned. I think 677 in one class speaks for itself. Not to mention, I am down 2.5 pounds!|
Finally, the love update. Yep, we are still married, not that it was ever a question. We are actually doing really great, not that we ever weren't. But, sometimes the holidays, a baby, work, life, and general stress, get the best of you and you forget about that spark. Some days are still hard, like when Fletcher doesn't sleep at daycare and we have less than 30 minutes to make and eat dinner, get him bathed and in bed, and then have to wash all 7 million bottles, parts, and clean up dinner. Most days are wonderful and end with a dance party in the kitchen. My favorite.
I know I brag on him a lot, but Jared truly is an amazing father and husband. I don't have a great personal example since my father was pretty terrible at being both a dad and a husband most of the time. So, Jared definitely takes the cake in my eyes. There was one time I was so frustrated, I think after we got back from our Texas trip, he told me that he didn't want to by my assistant, he wanted to be my partner or my team mate. He was serious about that statement and has continued to be an active parent in every aspect. In addition to being totally hands on, he gives me time to myself, whether its a workout class after work, dinner with my girlfriends, getting my hair or nails done, or just running to Target alone. Not to mention, he has the most epic dance moves and knack for picking perfect songs #jaredsdadjams
|then he sneaks notes like this into your pump cooler and you find yourself crying at work.|
- we are all just winging this parenting thing. fun fact, there is no rule book
- I am terrified of potty training my child
- I second guess my self daily and feel like I am constantly failing that this whole thing. Did I pick him up enough? Does he know how much I love him? Do I pick him up too much? Maybe I should've done more skin to skin contact when he was a newborn. Is his poop normal? Is he eating enough? Shit, I forgot the vitamin D drops again.
- mom guilt is so real
- having mom-friends is critical. You have to have someone else to bounce your crazy off of
- having non-mom-friends is just as important. Sometimes you don't want to talk about pumping schedules and Nose Frida usage
- I am at peace with the fact that some of my pre-baby relationships have changed. Some have gotten stronger while others are no longer there.
- I don't mind saying no to things that I really just don't want to do. Only sometimes do I use Fletcher as an excuse.
- totally get the whole "my heart walking outside of my body" cliché now. Like, I would totally give my life for him and I am not just saying that (sorry Jared).
- I am way more granola about my child than I ever thought I would be. Fletcher will be lucky if he tastes juice before he is 16.
- so much respect for single parents. you rock.
- this is all just a season. One phase can end a quickly as it started.
- raising a child and being a parent is an overwhelming responsibility.
- there is always wine.
I learn something about myself all the time as I grow in this new role. I am sure I will fail more times than I will be able to remember, but I am thankful everyday that I was chosen to be this wild boy's mama.