Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Finding Out You're Pregnant

I honestly don't even know where to begin this post. Sharing something like this can easily lead to TMI.

Jared and I had talked about starting a family for what seemed like forever. It was always a topic of conversation and some arguements. I mean, is there ever a good time to plan for your entire lives to change? After months of discussion, we decided to just stop worrying and stop "trying to not get pregnant." Meaning there would be no ovulation or cycle tracking and all that. We wanted this to be pressure and stress free (ha!) process. We read some statistics and pretty much everywhere said most couples conceive within six months. Thus, we decided on June as our month to stop preventing pregnancy. 

The morning of July 21 (the day before we leave for our annual Ocracoke trip) something told me, "you should take a test this morning," just to be sure before the trip. So, at 6 am I went to the bathroom before getting ready for work. I had it set in my mind that it was NOT going to be positive. There was just no way because I had taken one a week earlier which was negative. I put the test aside and waited the 2-3 minutes before checking the results. Well hot dog, I'll be damned! Sure enough, there was a dark-blue-clear-as-day-big-fat positive sign in the window! I sat there hand to mouth in pure shock for a solid 5 minutes. First thought was, this is not at all what I had planned! Second thought, how am I going to tell Jared? Third, good bye beloved champagane. 

You see, I had planned to surprise Jared with the news that we were having a baby in the most epic way. I had actually thought this through before we even talked about trying for a baby. It involved a lot of prep. Time I thought I had since we did not think we were going to get pregnant so fast. This plan will remain secret. However, I did get to surprise him that night after a work dinner. Yes, I had to go through an entire work day and a work birthday dinner with this huge secret. I was dying to tell Jared. 

After dinner I rushed home to set up. I packaged up all four positive tests in a ziploc bag, an NC State newborn onsie (purchased on my lunch break that day), and a new freaker koozie to throw him off. I positioned my phone on our entertainment center to capture the whole thing on video! I will cherish that moment forever. There is nothing sweeter than telling the man you love, your husband, that he is going to be a father. I got to see all the emotions firsthand and it was beautiful. He has requested that I not share the video on social media. But here is a snip from the video of it hitting him.
I am so thankful for this wonderfully amazing and supportive man of mine! He is going to be the best baby daddy!

Yes, it took me four tests to somewhat convince myself that I was truly pregnant. I intended on getting even more proof, I needed to get an appointment with my OBGYN. They were able to squeeze me in for blood work and meeting with the prenatal nurse the morning we left for Ocracoke. And yep, their urine test (which I am sure is the same as the Daollar Store) verified that this is indeed really happening. Blood work showed that hcg levels were only 230. Even though they told us this was not an accurate way to date conception we did our research and figured I couldn't be more than 2-3 weeks along. 

No comments:

Post a Comment